- CBD extraction methods using solvents remove CBD from hemp plants efficiently and produce pure, high-quality CBD products. There are various steps to the process that isolates CBD from the other compounds.
- Ethanol extraction techniques may incorporate warm or cold processes depending on the desired end product.
- CBD interacts with receptors in your body. CBD oil is made from the isolate extracted from plant material. Products using this oil may have various applications for physical and mental well-being.
The cannabis plant contains cannabidiol which can have many therapeutic qualities for symptoms of various conditions. Before producing CBD oils and products, cannabis must go through an extraction process. Techniques involve isolating the CBD chemical compound and then distilling it.
How Is CBD Extracted From Cannabis?
There are several methods to extract CBD oil from plant matter using ethanol extraction. Ethanol is a plant-based solvent that creates a highly efficient method for sustaining hemp’s natural chemical ratios. It extracts both water and oil-soluble compounds. This grain alcohol extracts CBD by separating the cannabinoid to produce oil. The general process involves the following steps:
- Placing raw cannabis into a container: The plant material may be loose or held in a large bag, similar to a teabag.
- Soaking the plant trimmings in a food-grade alcohol solution: Determining the correct soak time depends on the desired product and the process temperature.
- Filtering out the desirable liquids: Ethanol solubilizes the cannabinoids and other elements, such as pigments, terpenes, and plant lipids from the hemp plant matter. The temperature of the solvent affects the compounds, strain, and raw material condition.
- Separating the plant material solution: This may involve evaporating the grain alcohol, removing the bag from the vessel, or filtering the loose plant material.
- Carrying out the next steps: The remaining actions depend on the desired final product and the temperature of the process.
- Distilling to separate the hemp oil: This step utilizes a film evaporator to isolate the desired compounds.
- Purging the remaining alcohol: This may involve the application of a hot plate stirrer or a vacuum.
What Are the Solvent Extraction Types?
There are two kinds of CBD extraction for cannabis applications. The temperature used in the method is the primary difference between these processes that extract CBD.
Warm Extraction Process
Extracting CBD with a warm or hot technique requires specialized equipment. The higher temperatures of this method, unfortunately though, results in a less efficient extraction. This is why we do not use this method at WayMaker Labs.
This method involves bringing the solvent to a boiling point, then condensing the alcohol on cooling coils. The liquid is then dripped through the hemp, removing terpenes and cannabinoids.
Cold and Room Temperature Extraction
With cold solvent extraction, it is vital to keep the mixture cold for long periods during the soaking step. This method may produce a more optimal flavor profile without needing the additional winterization action. Room temperature extraction is more efficient and delivers a robust profile without cooling or heating. This method typically extracts more pigments and waxes than supercooled systems, resulting in additional clarification steps.
At WayMaker Labs we’ve invested in extensive supercritical cooling systems that chill down to -70* C for our cold solvent extraction. This enables us to maintain the highest levels of quality while producing on a large scale.
What Are the Benefits of the Solvent Extraction Method?
Extraction companies are essential for creating top-tier CBD oils, and there are many techniques to extract CBD for production. Removing CBD isolates from cannabis using solvents eliminates residues that could otherwise end up in the final product. Ethanol extraction has various benefits, including:
- A faster and more efficient extraction process
- Lower electrical and labor costs
- High output
- More thorough results
- Produces high potency CBD oil
- High purity level for quality products
- Easily scalable for large quantities
- Can pull an extensive range of compounds
- Ideal for distillate goods
- Attempts to remove all cannabinoids
- AA Food and Drug Administration of Generally Regarded as Safe
What Is CBD Oil?
Cannabis has a broad range of compounds that produce varying effects on people. CBD oil is acquired from cannabis plants and may have various potential wellness uses. CBD oil is made by stripping all other terpenes and cannabinoids using extraction methods that leave only the CBD behind. Cannabis industry companies then use these isolates to make CBD products.
Two of the cannabis compounds are CBD and delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol. THC is psychoactive when heat is applied by cooking or smoking it. This compound creates a “high” for the user. However, CBD does not alter a person’s mind with use and has possible health benefits.
Hemp or Marijuana
People classify cannabis as either hemp or marijuana, depending on the amount of THC within the plants. Hemp and CBD are legal in Texas if the THC amount is under 0.3%. Marijuana farmers breed their plants to contain high THC levels, but hemp farmers do not alter them. The hemp flower contains low levels of THC but high concentrations of CBD. So, farmers and retailers typically derive CBD extract from hemp.
Cannabinoids interact with receptors within the body. There are two principal cannabinoid receptors:
- CB1: These receptors are vital elements of the human endocannabinoid system, which plays a crucial role in the central nervous system. THC binds to these receptors. CBD does not attach to receptors but may stimulate them to produce endocannabinoids. They regulate processes like pain, emotion, movement, appetite, memories, and mood.
- CB2: These immune system receptors affect the body’s pain and inflammation.
Possible Health Benefits
One benefit with the most substantial evidence for effectiveness is using a CBD product to treat childhood epilepsy. There is an FDA-approved cannabis medicine containing CBD for use in reducing seizures. People also use CBD to try to alleviate everything from chronic pain to anxiety to insomnia.
Other CBD Products
The balanced, clean, full-spectrum CBD oil that results from grain alcohol techniques is excellent for various retail products. Other cannabis items made from CBD oil extract include:
- Edibles, such as gummies
- Lotions and ointments
- High-CBD flower
How Do You Find a CBD Extraction Company in Texas?
When looking for an extraction service, you want a trustworthy company that delivers consistent excellence for your business needs. At WayMaker Labs, we focus on creating long-term relationships with hemp farmers and retailers to ensure high-quality products from our pure, clear, odorless CBD extracts.
Our CBD extracts contain the full spectrum of cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes. Based in Texas, our farm-to-retail extraction business serves retailers and farmers’ needs in the CBD industry. We process and refine hemp for use in many products.
Our high-yield extraction method and distillation process produce refined, top-quality CBD distillations. Using the industry’s leading technology with Wiped-Film Evaporator systems, we deliver outstanding, large-scale results for all your CBD requirements.
Image Credit: Near D Krasaesom/Shutterstock